Inside the Mind of a Sloppy Firsts Girl!

*

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Disaster Isn't Even a Strong Enough Word For My Saturday

Let’s star at the beginning, cause at least it started out amazingly well. While I was just waking up around noon my brother and his friends had been holding auditions for a new drummer since nine that morning.

Patch called me just as I was stumbling out of bed. He wanted to know if I wanted to go get lunch while he took a break from the audition process. They hadn’t had one person come through the door that they would even consider calling back.

The two of us ended up getting lunch at the best Mexican restaurant in town. If I do Mexican it wouldn’t be anywhere else.

“I can’t believe you’d leave those boys alone in your store. Who knows what they might do,” I jokingly asked.

“Seriously, they might burn the store down, along with my apartment. Really though I found someone who can work Saturdays. Now I’ll have more time to spend with the coolest girl in the world,” Patch informed me.

“That’s so cool. I’m surprised you found someone so fast. Now tell me whose the lucky bitch?”

He for some reason thought that was the funniest thing I’d ever said. “That was pretty funny.”

“Pretty funny? It sounded like you thought it was hilarious. But really though who is this other woman in your life?”

“There is no other woman you idiot, it’s you.”

“I know,” as I giggled, “I just wanted to hear you say it.”

“Jerk,” and he threw a chip at me.

Everything was fine until Patch decided he needed to get back to the store to continue auditions. Of course I went with him. I sure wasn’t going to go back home and spend the day with my parents. Don’t get me wrong I love my parents, but I don’t want to spend my Saturday with them.

Patch headed in and straight to the back, (the auditions were being held upstairs in his apartment.) I was all ready to follow him back, but I got stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn’t stop myself from gawking at the new cashier.

“Well hello beautiful. Long time no see,” it was Jonah. (That jerk of a college guy from New Years Eve.)

“Tal, are you coming?” Patch asked from the doorway to the back room.

I looked from him to Jonah and back, “No I’m leaving.” I dashed to the front door and ran all the way to the bus stop.

I could hear Patch yelling for me to come back. I was to fast for him though. I had just taken a seat at the back of the bus when I got a call from him on my cell phone.

“What?” I asked.

“What? What do you mean what? Why the hell did you run out of the store like that?”

“Why? Because of that asshole you hired. I can’t go in there now if he’s there.”

“Why not, he’s a good kid? Hard worker too.” I couldn’t believe he was even saying that about him.

“A good kid? A good kid? Let me tell you something about your good kid. You remember why you came and got me on New Years Eve?”

“Of course,” Patch replied, “How could I possibly forget.”

“Well that was Jonah. He’s the reason I left the party.”

“Are you sure?”

I didn’t say anything for a moment. I wasn’t really sure if I had actually heard him say that. “Did you really just say that?”

“Right stupid question,” he admitted.

“So are you going to fire him, so I can come back to the store?” I asked.

“I can’t fire him for that, sweetheart. Don’t worry I’ll definitely be having a talk with that boy. Now will you stop being a baby and come back here?”

“No I’m going home.”

“Fine, I’ll see you in a couple hours then.”

“No you won’t. I’m not coming back today.”

“Honestly, Tal, I know you too well. I know you’d rather be here even though he is then spend the day with our parents.”

“You know what Patch? I’m going to prove you wrong.”

“Yeah okay. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Bye,” and I ended the call.

I really was determined to stay home the rest of Saturday. Although, when I got home around 2 my mother insisted something was wrong and would not leave me alone. She practically followed me around the house, smothering me. (Have you ever noticed smother is just mother with an S in front of it?)

I had no choice but to leave the house, before I jumped off the roof. I wondered around town for a while but ultimately I found myself standing outside the music store. To go in or not to go in, that is the question.

I decided to just go in, head straight for the back and up to my brothers apartment. No stopping to talk, not even looking back.

“Welcome back. I was really sad when you left the party the way you did.”

I only stopped long enough to say, “Don’t talk to me.”

When I showed up at the auditions Patch didn’t say anything about me coming back. No I told you SOs.

He only said one thing about the situation, “I talked to him and if he tries anything, anything at all, you tell me and he’s so out of here, ok?”

“Thanks, Patch. You know how amazing you are?”

“Of course.”

I stayed and watched the rest of the auditions they had for that day. Nothing overly exciting. A couple they might call back if no one better turns up. Good thing they’re doing this next Saturday too.

Well I guess my day wasn’t as bad as I had previously imagined. Although, it is going to be very awkward going in there while he’s there. He’s the total jerk, but I’m the one who feels weird about it. I know he doesn’t in the least.

Well that’s all for now!

1 comment:

Bharat said...

wow... that must be pretty weird... you seem to have a constant stream of bad luck following you around... might i suggest a mojo? only kiddin :)

i doubt your brother can find anyone up to the mark of his previous drummer because he's so accustomed to his previous drummer... he's gonna have to settle for the best and make him better...